From shy guy to don juan. Daily experiences.
"The secret of happiness is freedom. And the secret of freedom is courage."

Friday, November 17, 2006

New venue anxiety

Use your body to change your voice.
To do improvisation, first flex the muscles in the way your character will perform, then you will do it.

-------------

I conquered some new venue anxiety today. I went into a dozen of coffee shops in my area. Just went in for 1 minute and to get accustomed to the fact that nobody gives a rats ass about what I'm doing there. Before going I had some massive anxiety, I was overly self-concious. Got over it, just by doing it. The thing I learned is that all the techniques for minimizing anxiety work but you don't have to and maybe even shouldn't use them conciously. They are just training wheels. The thing that works is the DETERMINATION to do it no matter what. When you focus every inch of your thought about changing your thoughts you will succeed. You must know where you want to be. Instantly recognize thought patterns and behaviours that are not congruent with your goal and eliminate them (Acknowledge it: "no this is not helping me"). No matter what the thoughts and fears are, they are irrelevant. If you do that, your brain after some time will realize that you are really gonna do this and it will start helping you. Break through the pain period!