From shy guy to don juan. Daily experiences.
"The secret of happiness is freedom. And the secret of freedom is courage."

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Comedy

I did a presentation in front of my university class today. I did stand-up comedy, George Carlin style. I was anxious as hell but it turned out really great. I haven't done this in a while so I lacked a bit of confidence but the reaction surpassed me. I got so many compliments that I really got the assurance that I needed. My definite strong points are: relaxed body language, different voice tonality and speed, the matching of my rebel look with what I say. It was a bit rebelious speech, really angry George Carlin style. I learned something very, very important which my teacher said to me after the presentation. I would not know this in a million years if he hadn't told me. My look and my humour might be not well recepted by people with higher status. If they don't get that this is just me and I'm not really a threat they will be aggressive towards me. I have the answer to my all-life question: why do some people don't like me at first sight? It turns out these "some people" are people with higher status that lack social calibration and sense of humour. So, how do I overcome this? If someone is higher status, or assumes he is I need to tone down my attitude and humour and just relate to them. The ME can come out later when they like me. I need to slip behind their defences.

I did one approach asking a girl for a bus or something, as part of my talk to one stranger a day program. I think this is becoming a habit at last.

Tomorrow I'll work in dedicated time, not so long, so I'll need to be quick. I will use my new confidence and break out of the comfort zone.