From shy guy to don juan. Daily experiences.
"The secret of happiness is freedom. And the secret of freedom is courage."

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why doing is important

Only from the position of "I am the master of my fate" can I make changes. I'm feeling like this today. Even if things don't go well I place blame on myself
and I can fix it and it doesn't change my emotional state. Here are my thoughts from the last few days:

I wrote a while ago that emotional "State can be changed only by action
alone". I've been experimenting with this. For example I was trying to stop
negative thinking. I caught myself doing the same thing as always, trying to
overthink it. So I decided to just change my physique. I started smiling. Then
automatically some music started playing in my head and it was IMPOSSIBLE to
think negative. I need to find more things to do to change certain emotional
states.

I have had a certain regression in my confidence with my interactions with my
girl. Actually I never had confidence. All my confidence comes from things I
did in the last year, namely approaching strangers and group interactions. I
have a certain level of competence in this area which gives me confidence but
when I'm alone with a girl I feel like I'm 8 years old again and I really have
to hide it.
The thing is confidence comes from action alone. In the last few months I
have been going out and forcing myself to break through comfort zones. If I
had a look at my progress of what I actually did according to my goals I made
like 1% of them. The funny thing is after each failure I felt better than
ever. I felt stronger because I was DOING something. I have been struggling with the DO part all these months so why did I feel great? I think just trying to make progress makes you more confident. Every time and effort spent on doing something gives you something back. And it is not the thing I really want... but something better. I now think that all the self-help gurus are so fulfilled not because they
have amazing techniques or methods but just because they are trying to improve
themselves every minute of the day. That trying gives strength. So I will DO things no matter if I get what I want or not or even if I actually do something at all.

My level of well-being is a good indicator of if I'm going in the right
direction. I haven't felt great during the past weeks. I thought that maybe
having a relationship is not my lifestyle but really it's because I haven't
made any progress in myself. I'm new to this so I still have to find WHAT I need to
improve and what to DO about it.